Tribute to Freedom, Soldier Field Veterans Memorial, 2003
Anna Koh Varilla and Jeffrey Hanson Varilla
North end of Soldier Field
1410 S Museum Campus Drive
Originally called Municipal Grant Park Stadium when it opened in October 1924, it was renamed Soldier Field on November 11, 1925. The stadium was formally dedicated a year later during the Army vs. Navy football game as a memorial to American soldiers who had died in war. When the stadium was rebuilt to expand capacity in 2003, the exterior of the site was also enhanced and garnered with memorials to the men and women of the armed services. This includes a wall fountain at the north entrance as well as this statue crafted by the husband and wife team that form Koh-Varilla Guild. The couple specializes in classic realism and the figures on this 15-foot memorial represent Chicago’s ethnic and racial diversity.