Sunday, September 22, 2013

Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller Monument


Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller Monument, 1886
Ernst Bilhauer Rau
Lincoln Park
Conservatory Garden
East of North Stockton Drive on axis with West Webster Avenue

            Chicago public sculpture includes many examples of donations made by immigrant groups to honor important figures from their homelands. This monument to the German playwright and poet Schiller is a replica of an original bronze that stands in Marbach, his birthplace in southwest Germany. A committee of German citizens hired William Pelargus, an artist from Stuttgart, to recast the original monument designed by Ernst Rau. The granite base was carved by Lake View stonecutter John Gall. Schiller wrote about human freedom and the capacity for moral action and his poem “Ode to Joy” was used as the chorale finale of Ludwig van Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. 

No comments:

Post a Comment