Wallach Fountain, 1939
Elisabeth Hazeltine Hibbard and Frederick Cleveland Hibbard
Near 55th Street, east of underpass leading to Promontory Point
The donor, David Wallach, was a resident of the south side of Chicago who died in 1894. In his will, he designated funds for the installation of a fountain “to be kept and maintained for the free use of both men and beasts.” In the 1930s, the sculptor Elisabeth Hazeltine Hibbard and her husband Frederick C. Hibbard (the artist who created the Eagle Fountains and monuments to Carter Henry Harrison and GreeneVardiman Black in Chicago) were commissioned to design the work and Elisabeth modeled the bronze fawn on top after a doe that she has seen at the Lincoln Park Zoo. The fountain includes a pool for birds and dogs as well as drinking fountains for children and adults. Elisabeth Hibbard, known for her sensitive animal sculptures, assisted renowned sculptor Lorado Taft at his Midway Studios and she taught at the University of Chicago from 1943-1950.