Harris Bank Fountain, 1975
In the plaza of the BMO Harris Bank Building
111 West Monroe Street
This piece was commissioned by Harris Bank (now BMO Harris Bank) for the plaza on Monroe and LaSalle Streets. The original 20-story brick bank building located at 119 West Monroe was completed in 1911. In 1960, another tower was added to the east and, in 1974, a 38-story tower was built to the west facing LaSalle Street. The taller tower was set back from Monroe Street to allow for a plaza with a small fountain. Secrest, born in Muncie, Indiana, sculpted the fountain in a Danish modern style with interconnected blue-green bronze pedestals that extend 6 ½ feet in height. Water flows from seven jets down to the 22-foot diameter basin. William F. Murray, chairman of the bank, and Mayor Richard J. Daley attended the unveiling on July 9, 1975.